CCS High Efficiency, Quick Release Oil Catch Can, 3.5 fl oz, with Drain Port
Ships by Mon, Feb 26
- Keep contaminants out of your intake to increase octane and keep your engine clean.
- 85-90% filtering efficiency of crankcase vapors.
- A must for direct injection engines.
- Quick-turn, easy to service 3.5 fl oz (104 ml) reservoir with drain port.
- -6 ORB inlet and outlet ports.
- Made in USA. Lifetime warranty.
An Improved Oil Catch Can
Improved Racing set out to design the best air-oil separating catch can we possibly could. We focused on a three simple design goals:
- Maximize efficiency: Separate as much vapor from crankcase blowby fumes as possible with minimal restriction.
- Easy to use: The catch can should be simple and enjoyable to use in every aspect including mounting, draining, and cleaning.
- Durable: Virtually indestructible. Made from high-quality, reliable components. As with any Improved Racing product, nothing will vibrate loose or come apart under racing conditions.
The result is the CCS (Catch Can, Sport).
Highly Efficient Air-Oil Separation
The CCS's design maximizes air-oil separation efficiency, resulting in a peak separation efficiency of 85-90%. For comparison, none of the competitor's catch cans we tested showed a peak efficiency of more than 60%. These results were achieved on our bench testing system at air flow rates of 0-4.0 CFM and vaporized oil injection rates of 0.20-0.30 grams of oil per minute.
|Tangential Entry Port
|Stainless Steel Filter
|Multiple O-Ring Seals
|Bell Mouth Plenum
|3.5 fl oz (104 ml) Reservoir
No Sight Glass Needed
Improved Racing's quick-release reservoir is so easy to remove that it eliminates the need for a sight glass. Just push up and twist an 1/8th turn to remove the reservoir and look inside. No more fumbling or endless unscrewing to remove the reservoir.
No sight glass also means improved durability at higher operating temps. And no more trying to interpret a difficult-to-read sight glass to check your fluid level. Just look inside!
A powerful wave spring keeps the reservoir locked in place. A safety lock clip is also included just in case you want to be absolutely sure the reservoir cannot be removed.
Reservoir Drain Port
The 3.5 fl oz CCS catch can also features a drain port for remote draining on vehicles where the catch can may be difficult to access. The can comes with a drain plug as well as a -6AN O-Ring Boss adapter fitting. A remote drain kit is available separately.
Fast & Flexible Mounting Bracket System
We made the mounting bracket easy to use and remove because some engines bays are tight. Remove the can in seconds by unscewing the green nut. Installing and positioning is just as quick and easy. If you need a little more leverage, just use a 5/8" or 16mm open end wrench on one of the nut's lobes.
Universal Mounting Bracket Options
Two universal mounting brackets are available: 90-degree or flat. The 90-degree bracket is included with the can and the flat bracket is available separately. Vehicle-specific kits and mounting solutions are being developed for many popular vehicle applications.
Positive Safety Lock Clip
The CCS comes with a safety lock clip. It's peace of mind for crash protection or track events where a positive lock mechanism is required. Push to insert, pull to remove.
Development of the CCS happened over several years and included ANSYS Fluent CFD simulations, extensive bench tests, and on-vehicle street and track tests. Final prototype testing also included a 9-month beta testing program in collaboration with various road racers, drag racers, and drifters.
Comparative testing included Improved Racing's prototypes and several catch cans from leading competitors. We ensured our catch can will beat the competition in filtration performance while maintaining a similar or lower pressure drop. Bench testing focused on maximizing efficiency at peak blow-by air flow rates of 3.7-4.0 CFM, where most other catch cans lack efficiency. The chart below (click to enlarge) shows some of our bench test results. Proprietary information and competitor's names have been redacted.
The applications listed below would benefit from the addion of an oil catch can:
- Direct injection engines.
- Direct injection engines suffer from exccessive carbon build-up on the valves and require regular cleaning. A catch can will reduce carbon build up on the valves.
- Valves on port injected engines are kept clean by the detergents in the fuel, but will also benefit from a catch can.
- Any engine with oil residue found in the intake manifold, throttle body, intake piping, or charge cooler will benefit greatly from the addition of an oil catch can.
- Any engine with an aftermarket tune will see improvements in horsepower from the increase in octane of the air/fuel mixture after adding a catch can.
- The CCS is perfect for recirculated, OEM style PCV systems. It can also be used in vent-to-atmosphere applications by adding the optional CCS-40 filter attachment.
- For built engines with high levels of blow-by and for racing applications requiring a larger volume reservoir, stay tuned for our CCR (Catch Can, Race), currently in development. The CCR will feature larger ports and a 1 quart capacity.
|Country of Manufacture
1.33 lb (0.6 kg) complete
including drain plug
bracket nut and 90-degree bracket
Type II Anodized
|Minimum Operating Temperature
|Maximum Operating Temperature
3.5 fl oz (104 ml)
|Inlet Port Size
-6AN O-Ring Boss Female
|Outlet Port Size
-6AN O-Ring Boss Female
|Standards & Certifications
Milspec Type II Anodizing
O-Ring Boss Threads per SAE J1926-3 & ASME B1.1
O-Ring Boss Threads per SAE AS5202