Melling 10296 High Volume, High Pressure LS Oil Pump[Part # 10296]
The factory LS oil pump suffers from cavitation above 6,200 RPM, which results in a drop in oil flow of nearly 1 GPM by 7,000 RPM. This cavitation can also aerate the oil, which causes drops in oil pressure and can result in oil starvation. This is why we do not recommend shifting any higher than 6,200 RPM with a stock engine. Engines that run at RPM's above 6,200 should use an upgraded Melling pump to prevent these issues.
The Melling 10296 pump flows 18% more oil than the factory oil pump, topping out at about 8 GPM (versus approximately 6.8 GPM for the factory oil pump). The additional oil volume can improve engine lubrication, but caution should be used when selecting this pump for racing applications as the higher volume can sometimes accelerate oil starvation by pumping oil out of the oil sump faster than it can be returned. We don't recommend using this pump with the smaller capacity oil pans (less than 6 quarts).
The pump also includes a stiffer pressure relief spring, which increases the maximum system oil pressure by 10%. This higher maximum pressure can help negate drops in oil pressure caused by the addition of an oil cooler setup. The stiffer oil pressure relief spring can be swapped out for a factory specification spring, which is also included with the pump.
This oil pump is compatible with LS engines featuring Variable Valve Timing (VVT). This pump should not be used with engines that feature Active Fuel Management (AFM). Engines with AFM require a higher flow pump. See Melling part number 10355.
Features and Benefits
- 8.0 GPM maximum flow for an 18% increase in volumetric flow over most factory LS engine oil pumps and Melling M295 pumps
- Includes a stiffer bypass spring for a 10% maximum oil pressure increase over the factory LS oil pumps, factory specification oil pressure spring also included
- Compatible with VVT engines
- Cast aluminum housing, CNC-machined and hard anodized
- Iron cover, CNC-machined and phosphate coated
- Compatible with factory GM oil pickup tubes/screens
- GM GEN III & IV LS and Vortec engines without AFM/DOD, including:
- Gen III LS blocks LS1, LS6
- Gen IV LS blocks LS2, LS3
- Gen III Vortec 4800 LR4, LM7
- Gen III Vortec 5300 LM7, L59, LM4, L33
- Gen III Vortec 6000 LQ4, LQ9
- Gen IV Vortec 4800 LY2, L20
- Gen IV Vortec 5300 LH8, LH9
- Gen IV Vortec 6000 L98, L96, LY6, L9H
- Gen IV Vortec 6200 L92, L9H